Week 13- Cartoonist's Track: Reconsidering the Superhero






For Muttman I wanted to combine some of the realism and comedy of series like Kick-Ass without its cynicism and juvenile humor. Cynical deconstructions of superheroes are somewhat overdone, especially considering how many of them are just surface-level attempts at being edgy for the sake of being edgy *cough*Mark Millar*cough*. I wanted to do a more positive yet nuanced portrayal of someone in the "real world" being influenced by superhero media and taking action. Even though I want this to be more optimistic, I do still want to explore some of the negatives of being a real-life superhero. I also want to embrace some of the inherent soap opera-ness of Silver Age Marvel while updating it for the modern-day. A central part of this would be relationships between characters, as I think that's the real crowned jewel of ongoing superhero media. A smaller but still crucialMuttman is the visual gag of a guy in a dog mascot costume fighting bad guys.
aspect of

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6- Underground Comix Cartoonist's Track

Week 12- Women in Comics

Week 1- Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus